Sunday, February 21, 2016

My House has Gone to the Dogs



 I am ashamed to say that I have not always been a dog-person. I grew up with dogs and liked them well enough but did not rush out to get dogs of my own. Before having children, I worked full-time, we travelled quite a bit and often went away for weekends. We thought a dog would make our lives a bit complicated. Then I had babies, lots and lots of them, well only 4, but it felt like 40, and life seemed too chaotic to include a dog into the mix. When the children got a bit older, I quietly started wondering whether a dog might not be a good addition to the family
 The turning point was when one of my sons came home from school with a dog lead which he had won in a competition. His opening words to me were "Mom, now that we have got this dog lead - we are going to have to get a dog"! So we did and have not looked back.


 We are all completely besotted with our two beagles, Blossom and Baxter. They are the most popular members of our family. They are always in a good mood, never sulky or grumpy, they don't argue or complain, they are always pleased to see us, they are not fussy about their food and they are always happy to be kissed and cuddled. Living with 4 teenage boys, as I do, I am extremely appreciative of these qualities!
 

 They make themselves comfortable wherever they feel inclined and we all just accept it. We cannot say no to them or get cross with them. One look at their sweet faces and we just melt. I tend to follow our good friend, Dr Dave's school of dog discipline.... when they have done something bad, like eating another shoe or a cushion or the smoked salmon starter off the dining room table, give them a lovely rub behind the ears and a kiss on the nose, all the while saying "you naughty, naughty, naughty dog!"



I thought I would be the sort of person who would never allow my dogs on the furniture - well..... apparently I'm not!


Let sleeping dogs lie, I say! (Someone else might have said it before me.)

 

 My children love cuddling them on the sofa and I love seeing my children cuddling the dogs - so its win-win for everyone, most of all the dogs!





Baxter -sitting in this corner of my study while I blog.  Why is he looking so guilty? I better go and investigate....


Blossom hoping someone might give her a lick of ice-cream. The dogs have one thing in common with my boys - they are always hungry!



Has your house also gone to the dogs?

Till next time

Sharon x


Previous Post
Next Post
Related Posts

0 comments: