Wednesday, April 13, 2016

LG Washer and Dryer Review (Four Years Later)

Occasionally I like to update you all about big ticket items we've purchased over the years. I always find it helpful when bloggers talk about appliances and how they have worked for them over time -- I think honest reviews are some of my favorite posts to read. (I'm planning an update on our kitchen soon to do just that.)

Recently a friend was on the search for a new washer and dryer set and I was raving about ours. I figured it was time I shared my thoughts here on the set we purchased years ago. In short -- I LOVE them. But there are a few things to think about that I'll go over. 

Four years ago we purchased a LG washer and dryer set (here's our washer and I believe this is the dryer -- they've changed the design a bit): 
LG high capacity washer and dryer

I know there's big debate over top/front loaders. (Seriously, people get a little weird about their dedication towards one or the other, right?) We went with top loaders mostly because I didn't want to deal with the mildew issues so many have with the front loaders. It sounds like it's gotten better over the years but I just didn't want to have to mess with cleaning the door. 

The other reason was that this top loader is the biggest capacity of it's kind available and it holds a CRAZY amount of clothes. It doesn't have an agitator so there's a ton of room inside. I can fit a ridiculous amount of stuff in there: 
LG high capacity top loader

Look how it still looks brand new too! Love it. Back in the day I'd fill our old washer with clothes and if it was too full it wouldn't get everything clean. We've never had a problem with that yet. I don't miss the agitator at all either. I've never had a problem with clothes getting torn up and they are always clean.

Two things I love about the washer -- it senses how much is in the washer so it only fills with as much water as is needed. No need to set it for a certain level. Also, the spin cycle is the BOMB. Seriously, even heavy blankets come out nearly dry because the spin works so great. 

The only thing I would caution about this washer is it may not be ideal for shorter folks. The basin really is super deep and even at 5'9" I have to really lean in there to get all the little socks and stuff. If you are a few inches shorter you may need to use a stool and it won't be as comfortable to use. 

The dryer is just as awesome. There's a ton of settings for drying: 
LG gray dryer

I love that I can set it quickly with one of the settings on the dial or make my own with time/heat/steam. 

I just used the steam option today to get wrinkles out of a few shirts. There's a door on top that holds the water for that. One very smart reader told me years ago that she uses that spot for dryer sheets and I do the same now. I just open the little door to grab one -- it's the little things that make life easier. ;)

Again, the capacity is HUGE and I can put a ginormous load in there and it will actually dry. Imagine that. I remember running our old dryer for an hour finding half of it still wet. I really think the spin cycle on the washer helps this tremendously. 

One of my favorite parts of the dryer is that it somehow senses how wet the clothes are. I guess that can be a drawback too, because if you turn it on a setting on the knob and the time shows 35 minutes, it may take longer than that depending on the load. I've set a timer and gone back down to find it reset for more time because the clothes weren't dry. It's not a negative thing for us -- I like that it takes care of that on it's own!
LG top loader review

I love the gray color we went with as well. They are so sleek and pretty. OH, and they "sing" a little ditty when the load is done -- I think it's adorable and like it but you can turn that option off if you want. :) 

Our laundry room is one of those that is still in process, but it works well for us so the finishing touches haven't been high on my list.The cabinets have been up for years and need to be painted. I've added more cabinet storage on the other side of this room so it will be a big job to get them all done at once. Someday it will happen. :)  
LG washer review WT7700HVA  

I'll add links to a few of the projects in this space below, but if you have any other questions about the laundry room or the washer and dryer, please ask away! 

Do you have this set? It's been nearly four years and so far so good with these. We haven't had any problems at all (knock on wood). Do you prefer the top loading washers or are you a front loader fan? I think we'll be top loaders for life. :)


Here are a few projects from the room you may find helpful: 
DIY shelf behind washer and dryer:

DIY shelf behind washer and dryer

DIY floating shelves tutorial:
DIY floating wood shelves

How to switch the direction your dryer door opens:
switch direction of dryer door


Previous Post
Next Post
Related Posts

0 comments: